Monday, January 5, 2009

Calling T-Mobile On G1 Battery

I'll make this quick.  You may have heard over the Holidays about T-Mobile potentially offering G1 users free battery replacement with higher capacity batteries for the G1.

If you're a G1 user or following Android development closely, you know that G1 chews up a lot of power.

Well, to see if this is true or not, I called T-Mobile last night to see when "my battery" is coming.  Welll...it's not.  The guy who answered my call was helpful and was sympathetic with my sob battery life story but he was not aware of T-Mobile being any sort of generous mood over the Holidays or in the new year.

He also asked a couple of guys he worked with and they were not aware of any T-Mobile policy change.

So, that's the latest.  Perhaps we'll hear something more in the coming full 2009 week.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.  The G1 is a beta phone that we paid money to use.  It's a 3G phone.

I've extended battery life by turning off components like Wi-Fi and GPS and other features when I'm not using it.  It helps quite a bit.  Just being smart with the rationing seems to be the best way to go.

Original T-Mobile source on battery replacement:  Google And Blogs

Now, here is a different story than what I've got from my T-Mobile customer service guy.  Apparently, battery replacements have already been sent out.  We'll know with certain when people start to receive them at their front door.

No comments:

Buy.com