Tuesday, March 25, 2014

HTC's M8 Camera Features - Worth The Upgrade

Here is a good explanation from Slashgear about HTC's new flagship device's camera features, the M8.  It's still stuck on the 4MP UltraPixel marketing.  I know folks will argue that pixels aren't everything.  For the most part, I'd have to agree but I would have like to see some kind of an increase.

The depth-of-field, DOF, and bokeh features are specifically what I'm referring to.  Between the two, I'm more excited about DOF.  It allows amateurs like me produce better looking photos - more professional and less sucky I guess.  It's something that I've had to fake with the iPhone and on other Android devices. 

It'll be interesting to see how well it works in regular mobile warrior hands. 

Say what you will, maybe HTC is on to something by taking the camera into a different direction.  Having said that, it would have been nice to see an 8MP upgrade instead of just the four.  For many of its competitors, they've been increasing the pixel count further and further ahead and at some point, that is going to matter.  Having said that, Apple has been staying with the 8MP count for three years ago and may continue to stick with it for the next iPhone.

We know what Galaxy S 5 camera can do.  We know where HTC stands.  I'm excited to see what Apple and Nokia will take us next. 

No comments:

Buy.com