Friday, March 23, 2012

Nokia N9 And ICS? Yup, Video Proves It's Running Android

The N-series, the N9 is the inspiration for Nokia's Windows Phone devices like the Lumia 800 and 900 series.  Well, for those folks who want to see Android running on Nokia hardware, there's hope.  The older N9 is showing in this video running ICS, the latest and greatest Android.

Personally, I love to be able to dual-boot using a Lumia 900.  While many Android fans will not like Microsoft's Metro UI, I'm a mobile fan and willing to give it a shot.  And when I'm tired of it, I like to be able to switch back to Android.

Here's the video.  Enjoy!



In look at the specs for the N9, it's pretty stacked compared to what we would expect from a more aging device.  And compares well to the Lumia 900.

  • N9 has a 3.9" screen versus the 900's 4.3" but has a higher resolution 854x480 to 800x480.
  • N9 has 1 GB of RAM to Lumia's 512 MB.
  • Cameras are both at 8MP but I'll give the Lumia a sight edge given it's a newer tech.
  • Lumia 900 has a better CPU but has to work with less RAM.  The N9 has a slower 1 Ghz chip but has twice the RAM to work with.
  • Battery life could be longer on the Lumia 900.
Looks to be about a tie between the two models.  the N9 runs Meego OS out of the box.  But hey, we're talking about installing ICS here. I think Android needs more RAM to run.  

Hopefully, my dream of a dual-boot on the Lumia 900 can work.  Otherwise, the N9 running ICS sounds quite enticing to me.

Source of video is from Phandroid.

No comments:

Buy.com