Friday, September 11, 2015

Beware of Bogus Pop-Ups and Updates

Android is a great OS no matter folks say and Google is working hard at plug holes as they discover them.  You know it and I know it but, meanwhile, we still need to be wary of too-good-to-be-true apps or deals.  And now, we need to be viligant of bogus updates or apps asking for permissions.  See, some malware are now able to gain access to your lock screen and change the passcode and lock you out of your phone unless you agree to its demands - usually, a ransom.

For the most part, Android is pretty safe.  I live in a Google world and am mostly comfortable with its handling of my data.  And I do buy and download apps from Google Play, I tend to only download from reputable developers and hardly venture out to far from that doctrine. 

And I never sideload.  I've done stuff like that before and I just don't have time to do that or mess with the OS. 

And if you do, you're probably a very experienced Android user like myself.  However, if you're not, well, just like you won't go down a dark alley in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night in real life, you should not go down that road with Android either.

Just read carefully everything that you see on your screen.  And if you're suspicious of an app or pop-up or request, you'll want to stop and not grand the app permission until you can find out more. 

On a personal note, I do think Google need to do more to make sure malware does not appear as much in the number it does.  I have some thoughts on how that can happen that'll make everyone happy and safer.  I'll get into that later.  

So, what's your thought on this issue? 

No comments:

Buy.com