Monday, January 27, 2014

Social: A Place For Google Glass And Other Such Devices

The backlash against Google Glass is to be expected.  And that's a good thing.  Over time, however, it should go away when proper public rules and etiquette is established and social privacy once again shifts.  There is a place for devices like Glass.

In fact, I'm waiting to see where this experimentation will take wearable devices.  So far, I've not seen anyone with Glass but that is likely because of the limited base that Google has kept under tight control.  Plus, the cost of the device is prohibitive for your average mobile user.  

And even if it was affordable, $200-$300 range, there are again the social backlash.  

But I see myself using Glass that I hope will have some neat applications.  For instance, during runs or hikes in the mountains, I would love to have information displayed so that I can see what kind of progress (or lack of) that I'm making.

I'm sure folks taking their morning walks are less likely to be concerned about me wearing Glass during my run or hike than if I were to wear that into a restaurant or restroom.  For the record, Glass has no place in a public restroom.  This should be rule number one.  

Of course, gyms too.  I have to make one comment about this.  Practically everyone in my gym has traded in their iPods for an iPhone or Android device.  but I have never seen anyone taking pictures in there.  As far as I know, I'm the only who has taken a selfie or two or to help me remember what settings my machines are.  Most of the time, my phone is in my pocket or laying on the pockets of a treadmill next to my water bottle.  

I can think of a few other places that Glass or similar wearable device might have a place.  But athletics seem like the most logical place for it.  What do you think?

No comments:

Buy.com