Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Google Should Push Android Device Makers To Something About Battery Life

Intel with its Haswell chip in 2013 promises to have day-long battery life and possibly run off solar cells like some of today's watches and calculators.  That's still 24-36 months away.  In the near term, Google needs to work something out with device makers on battery life today.  

I'm sure you've read about the Thunderbolt, the first LTE device to run on Verizon Wireless' 4G network.  Operationally, the Thunderbolt passed mustard but the battery life was the main reason why I passed on it.  And you've probably also read reviews on other Android devices.  The battery life for some are better than others but the bottom line is that the reviewers failed to tax the devices in the way real world mobile warriors would use them.

What is "moderate use" that many of these reviews claim?  To me that means the device should be able to handle my mobile needs when I want it no matter what I do.  I'm certainly not talking about streaming Youtube or playing video all day.  I am just saying that I should not have to moderate my uses.  

And to be fair, the iPhone, which many Apple fans claim to have superior battery life, is suffering from the same battery life issue that iPhone reviewers have.  The iPhone does possess better battery life in general but i wouldn't say it that' much better.

If Google wants to use its Nexus line as a model device for other top Android devices to follow, it also needs to show its partners that you can make a great device that includes great battery life.  We should not have to wait until Intel gives us that kind of battery life in 2013.  

Right now, I'll settle for half of that.

No comments:

Buy.com