Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gamestop Decision To Carry iOS Devices Means Doom For Dedicated Handheld Machines, Maybe Android and Other Platforms Too?

Are you gaming on in your iOS devices?  I reckon that you are.  And it probably takes up a lot of the time you spend on your iPhone or iPad.  And millions have forsaken the traditional handheld gaming device and have gone with Apple's mobile gaming solution.

And this is evident by Gamestop's move to stock up on Apple's iOS devices for this year's Holidays shoppings season.  It makes a lot of sense after all.  PSP are doing okay but not well and it's starting to show its page.  Sony's NGP is in flux – specs, costs.  No one really knows at this point.

Furthermore, Nintendo's DSi has not caught on.  While I've appreciated the old games that I can buy and download on my 3DS, I've used it more often as a Netflix player when my iPad is charging.  I've yet to buy a $40 game.

Why would I do that when I can get 40 99 cent games or 20 1.99 cent games.  Or…well, you get the picture.

Don't be surprised if Gamestop gets into app downloads with its own store in the future or if GS begins to carry Android devices as well.  Both platforms, Android and iOS, are cleaning up the mobile market and its disruptions has extended far beyond anything anyone has imagined.

And unlike dedicated gaming machines whose specs are set for years, mobile devices are updated at the very least on an annual basis with more efficient and faster CPU, more powerful GPU, and with quicker innovation than what Nintendo and Sony can match with their current mobile gaming models.

Source:  touchArcade.

No comments:

Buy.com