Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Surviving on 200MB of Wireless Data A Month? How?!

I recently bit down and went with Verizon Wireless, sooner than I would have liked because of the issue regarding the carrier ending their unlimited data plans by 7/7.  Before that, I debated if I can survive on 2GB a month.  

I thought long and hard about it.  There could be some compromises, not major ones, but I think I would be able to do it.  However, there are two things that I have to consider as mobile technology improves to the point where living without unlimited data just would not work any longer.  But that's for another post.  

Here, I am wonder just how anyone could live on a montly allotment of 200MB or anything less than a 1GB from carriers like AT&T.  For me, that's just not possible.  

Then after questions a few people who used a variety of devices from the iPhone to Androids, it occurred to me that they are not necessarily using the way I envisioned mobile warriors should be using their mobile devices. 

I watch videos, chats via Skype, update tweets, and surfing the Web quite a bit through out the day.  I think I can take up to 2.5 GB a month under some circumstances but most stay within a range of 1.8 to 2.2 GB a month. 

What about those who are within 200MB?  Apparently, watching video is almost not an option.  Nor is heavy use of the Web or any app that would require a lot of data use.  That means no uploading or downloading pictures or videos through apps or e-mail attachments.  Facebook and Twitter use is as heavy as most users I talk to go.  

Fear of going over 200MB?  Hardly.  Not with the mobile habits I described above.  

And it'll be interesting to see how users react to their limited bandwidth once carriers allow video chats like FaceTime or Google's new social initiative become more ubiquitous and, hopefully, more popular.  

No comments:

Buy.com