Saturday, April 2, 2011

Xoom: Feels Solid, Deceptively Heavier, Filled With Lots of Potential But Needs More From Google

I finally got my hands on a Xoom.  There isn't a lot to say about it beyond what you can probably find or test out at a Best Buy or something.  I can only tell you my experience with it.

The Xoom is a solid tablet.  A great first try out from Google and current hardware fav, Motorola.  However, there is much that Google has to do on the software front.

The Xoom is fast but can bogged down.  I reckon it's because of the beta feel to Android 3, Honeycomb.  This week, Google said that it would withhold codes to Honeycomb until they can get things right.  I think that's a great idea.  There is no rush given the state of the market.  It isn't like Apple can sell all the iPad 2's they want with their inability to make them.

Over all, if you're in the market for an Android tablet, there is nothing that even comes close to the Xoom.  At not until Samsung or LG releases their offerings.  Even then, I heard the Tab has a plasticky feel.  And there is no mistaking the Xoom for anything other than a solid build.  

Also, you'll want to test it out before you jump in if you've never had your hand with a tablet before.  Don't just assume that it's just a laptop or netbook without a keyboard.  That my first suggestion.  My second suggestion is to see if Motorola will lower their prices as more Android competitors come to the market.  The older Samsung Tab can be had for $199 now, down from the $499 or $599 just a couple of months ago.  

At the end of the day, if you're an Android fan, you cannot go wrong with the Xoom.

No comments:

Buy.com