Saturday, March 19, 2011

T-Mobile Has Been Quiet With High End Android

T-Mobile just revived the Sidekick brand with Android as the basis. But since G2, there have not been any high end Android device that enticed me to sign up. I am eagerly waiting for the LG Optimus 2X. Due to my lack of familiarity with LG's track record in mobile and providing timely Android update, I am still waiting to see if HTC has something coming to T-Mobile.

Why T-Mobile? Well, it was the first US wireless network to introduce the first ever Android device, the G1. I was one of the first to rush to the website to order it. So you'll have to forgive me if I'm partial to T-Mobile.

This is what I hope to see from our favorite wireless provider here at On Android. I like to see the following three Android devices:

  • Samsung Galaxy S II - this is the next upgrade from the Galaxy update.  It is a natural fit.  As one of the two networks without Apple's iPhone, I see Samsung and T-Mobile as a perfect fit to highlight non-Apple phones and devices, particularly Android.  And having it run on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network would be a plus.
  • Because of Verizon's size and Google's eagerness to act as a check-and-balance to the Apple-ATT alliance, most people think Verizon And Droid when they think about Android.  Well, now that Verizon has the iPhone, I like to see Motorola bring the devices that are branded "Droid" to T-Mobile.  Yeah, give me a dual-core Droid-like device, and I'll sign up right this second.  Don't give me that Cliq or the Charm is the best Motorola can bring to the game here.  The Defy is okay but it's so 2009.  Give me Droid X2 or Droid 3 GSM version any day.  
  • HTC - we need you.  The G2, while is a HTC-made phone, it is not branded so.  Regardless, HTC has been kind of MIA in my opinion.  Heck, give me the ChaCha which looks like the original Android prototypes.  Oh, but just don't call it the ChaCha on T-Mobile.  There's talk and rumblings about a high end device coming.  I hope so.  The G2 just isn't it.  
My hope is that T-Mobile will have a very active second quarter in Android.  After the Optimus 2X, maybe that'll be when we'll see a couple more high end devices for loyal T-Mobile fans. And yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Sony's Play in here somewhere too.

No comments:

Buy.com