Sunday, March 27, 2011

Honeycomb Solidifies Android As The Future At Google, Not Chrome OS

I am going based on what I've heard and seen and since I don't own an Android-based tablet, specifically Honeycomb, I can only go with what's out there.  And so far, I've not seen much about it on this matter.  Nevertheless, all the focus at Google must be on Honeycomb and tablets, which is where the media and blogs have pegged as the current front in the mobile war.

And with the iPad 2 just released and Xoom as the sole Tegra 2 based Honeycomb tablets, RIM's Playbook out in April, and a few more Android tablets and the Touchpad from HP out after that, I get the feeling that Chrome OS will get a proper introduction and dominate the headlines for like a week before all eyes are back on Honeycomb.

Then let's not forget that development on Android for smartphones are likely happening at a furious pace.  Just as the tablet market is getting very crowded, iPhone 5, the next Web OS device, RIM's typical updates will mean that Google and its partners have to some of their resources in this part of the mobile market as well.

I reckon that Google might leverage its position as the sole guardian of Android and convince a few of its smartphone and tablet partners to come out with a Chome OS netbook or two.

I'm not sure where that will go but I am not optimistic at all.  It's clear that the iPad, Galaxy Tab, and other tablets have greatly impacted netbook and low-end laptop sales in 2010.  And I think the growing tablet market in 2011 will further crowd out the netbooks.

It'll only be a matter of a couple more tablet revisions from Motorola, LG, and Samsung to evolve the tablet into a more robust device for mobile computing.  With each passing quarter, Honeycomb will improve along with the hardware.

I think I'm gonna call it now and say that Chrome OS is dead, killed off, not by Apple or Microsoft, but Google's focus on Honeycomb.  And I'm not sad to see it go.

No comments:

Buy.com