Monday, June 21, 2010

Android 3.0: Improve Battery Life, Google

What good is a mobile device if being tethered to the wall socket or an USB port to the device charged? That's the question I ask myself in reading the review for the EVO and a lot of other Android devices.

In trying to compete with the iPhone and the rest of the smartphones in the market, developers like HTC and Motorola has beefed up specs for their top line and showcase devices. I'm all for that. Dave the Mobile Warrior appreciates it as well. But like me, Dave has been lamenting the fact that in using the EVO as a hotspot, it lasts a mere hour of use. Plus, he cannot believe how power hungry the EVO is.

As an Android fan, I'm likely to suggest that users turn off features and services that they don't need like live wall paper. But I like my wall paper and since I work in an office, hooking up my devices to the wall or charging through USB ports isn't a big deal. Then again, why should I have to worry about getting enough juice if I'm on the move?

I'm hoping that Google will provide a more robust solution for power management in this area. I'm a true mobile warrior in the sense that freedom from power sources and mobile computing doesn't involve compromising features to save power.

From time to time, bloggers and other tech avenues on the Web would offer means to extend battery life. Turning off Wi-Fi, dimming the screen, or just getting off 3G altogether when high speed wireless access is not needed. I hope Google and its partners will make those articles a thing of the past with Android 3.0. These battery saving articles only serve as a reminder of the shortcomings of the Android platform.

As a matter of fact, there are Android devices on the market that doesn't use a 4 inch screen but closer to 3.5 inch and uses slower processors instead of the top of the line 1Ghz processors and they seem to offer better battery life. But there is a trade off: some of the lower end devices might have the most recent Android OS but not all features will work.

And I should not have to compromise. So Google, please make an extra effort to insure that battery efficiency is just as much a priority as new Android feature.

No comments:

Buy.com