Friday, May 21, 2010

Needs Chrome for Android

Between Chrome OS and Android, I much prefer Android given what I've read about COS.  Obviously, hands down, Android does circles around COS on a smartphone but even for netbooks or tablets, Android would remain my preferred OS choice.  However, that is another blog, another post for another day.

But Android does need a much better browser.

What better than Chrome at this time?  It's by far the one of the best browser out there.  As an Apple fan, I have to say Webkit was the way to go for Google and Chrome has been a kick in the butt over at Cupertino.  As a mobile fan, I'm loving this competition between Apple and Google.  As a matter of fact, I am waiting for this to be an all out war.

And Chrome is a perfect example of this competition.  And it's perfect for use with Android specially when (not if) developers port Android over to netbooks and tablets.  And I am hoping that Google, maybe with Apple, can make Webkit robust and battery-friendly enough for mobile use.

For the moment, the mobile Safari on the iPad can do so much more than the iPhone version.  Still, the iPad Safari falls short of the desktop Safari.  I am hoping, begging, that Google will have spent enough time on Chrome for netbooks/tablets so that an Android version of Chrome will offer the same Internet experience on my Mac or PC.

At Google I/O this week, Google showcased a bunch of HTML 5 tricks and products.  Of the ones I'm most excited about is the Web store.  Yeah, I want that on my 12-15 hours-long Android tablet.  And the only way I'm going to get that is if Google has mobile version of Chrome that fully support HTML 5.

So when the Android-powered tablet with Nvidia's Tegra 2 comes out later this fall, I better see fully functional Chrome without much compromises for mobile considerations.

Note:  I'm a Google and Apple fan.  I like that Google keeps Apple honest (not that it makes that big of a diff to Steve Jobs) and that we keep Google honest.  I'm a mobile fan at the core so I love seeing these two innovative companies fight it out on the desktop, netbooks, and other mobile devices like the tablet.

No comments:

Buy.com