Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mobile Tip -

What's cool about mobile devices is the ability to do a majority of the what we consider to be daily Internet and some computing tasks. And to even more resourceful users, much more can be done.

Watching videos, that's another matter. Sure, if you're on Android device, iPhone, or most other devices with Google links, chances are that you have Youtube. Well, we don't have Hulu yet and the iPad just got Netflix. So where does that leave everyone else and everything else?

Youtube. The problem with mobile Youtube is that it is difficult to find anything beyond a lot of user-created materials. I had hope to see a lot of TV and animation shows but it has been hard to "search" for them.

No longer. I just stop. What I did find the shows on Youtube that I want to watch on my G1 or iPhone, simply copy and paste the URL from YouTube to a mail and send it to yourself. After you received it, click on the links and most videos will play. I haven't had issues with any shows except Star Trek which I wager is still in Flash.

Another way to do this is by adding the shows to your account. That ought to work just as well if not better than using the email method. But this way, you will need to create a google or youtube account.

As for Flash videos, you're gonna be in luck as Adobe is racing against time to provide Flash in Android to fight against Apple's anti-Flash efforts by pushing open standard HTML 5. You will be able to access a lot of online videos like Hulu.

Of course, we will have to see if Adobe comes through and if the quality is as good as we have come to expect watching videos from laptops and desktops. However, Adobe is about 18 months late with Flash Lite so while I am hopeful, I am not holding my breath.

Note: I support the open standards push but until HTML 5 replaces Flash, Adobe is the only game in town for videos.


-- Post From My iPad

No comments:

Buy.com