Thursday, February 12, 2009

T-Mobile Hotspot (Reason To Get The G1)

At this point, I'm intererested in seeing what the G2 is going to be like.  I don't care for other Android phones on other networks.  If you're on ATT, you want the iPhone.  If you're on Verizon, you suffer through the phones they've got (including Storm) because of their superior network and you need an Android phone.  And if you're on Sprint, you should either switch or wait for the Pre and hope Apple doesn't kill it off (yesterday, Palm CEO backed away a bit from a fight they appeared to be looking for only a couple of weeks ago - what's that about?).

G1.  If you're going to get it, you probably did not know you'll also gain access to T-Mobile's thousands of Hotspots around the country (US).  I'm not sure why T-Mobile doesn't make more hay about this.  It's a time honored tradition to be able to surf the Web at Starbucks.  Ok, not really. 

And as with any Wi-Fi, I'm looking for the ability to make VOIP calls without using up my minutes.  And that's what I'm looking forward to. 

It's a $20 add-on for other phones so the fact that now it's included with G1's plan is a bargain not to be missed.  For folks who already have T-Mobile and are paying for the Hotspot service, do yourself a favor and upgrade.

As I've noted in the previous entry, Google had updated the OS - better connection and a new location feature called Latitude.  This makes the G1 more enticing.  And based on the rumors that I've heard for upcoming upgrades, Google could truly have a winner by then. 

Note:  The reason I'm mention the T-Mobile Hotspot here again is because connectivity was spotty.  Yesterday on my way to the gym, I stopped at an intersection with a Starbucks at the corner and the connection instantly went live.  How awesome is that?  That had never happened before.

No comments:

Buy.com